Even though we remain unable to run a full scale 75th anniversary commemoration of VJ Day on 15 August, Bridport remembers the cessation of hostilities in WWII in a number of ways:
- The Union Flag will fly on the Town Hall and at the Town Council’s Mountfield offices.
- Commemorative bunting is in place across the town centre streets.
- The Town Crier will cry in Bucky Doo Square just before 11am.
- This video tribute has been produced by Rev Pete Stone of Bridport Team Ministry:
- This commemorative address is provided by Cllr Ian Bark, Mayor of Bridport:
- A socially distanced gathering of invited dignitaries and veterans will take place at 4pm, for the laying of wreaths and the Act of Remembrance.
Town Clerk Will Austin said “We’re sorry not to be able to stage a major public event to mark VJ Day, but as we are unable to predict or control attendance it’s really not possible at the moment. Nonetheless we hope that people will be able to incorporate the videos into their own commemorative activities on the day.”